Attorney Whitney M. Untiedt
Whitney Untiedt has more than 14 years of legal experience in a wide range of areas, including complex civil litigation and appellate practice. At Freidin Brown, P.A., Whitney leads the firm’s national Whistleblower and Qui Tam practice, while also representing victims of medical malpractice and complex personal injuries throughout the state of Florida. Before joining the firm, Whitney was a partner and Director of Pro Bono Initiatives at an AmLaw 100 firm where she developed a national reputation for her work on behalf of nonprofit organizations and vulnerable clients facing complicated legal situations.
Whitney graduated with her B.A. from the College of William and Mary, where she received the prestigious James Monroe Scholarship, after which she worked as a writer and editor in New York City before attending law school. She attended the University of Florida Levin College of Law and received her J.D., cum laude, in 2005. During law school, Whitney served as President of the nationally-recognized Trial Team and was named a Fellow of the Center for Governmental Responsibility.
Since her admission to The Florida Bar, Whitney has spent more than a decade serving Floridians in difficult legal matters. After working as a public defender for many years, she developed a national practice representing nonprofit organizations and low-income clients facing complex legal situations. In 2016, she was named “Lawyer of the Year” for ensuring that Florida juveniles who had been unfairly sentenced received appropriate resentencing hearings. Whitney has successfully represented clients in appeals before the Florida Supreme Court and the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals.
As a leading member of dozens of professional organizations, including The Florida Bar, the National Juvenile Defender Center, and the National Institute for Trial Advocacy, Whitney is unparalleled in her commitment to strengthening the national legal community. She is also passionate about the environment, and volunteers regularly with Surfrider Florida, a grassroots organization dedicated to preserving Florida’s oceans.
- Whistleblower Claims/Qui Tam
- Complex Personal Injury
- Medical Malpractice
- Wrongful Death
- University of Florida Levin College of Law, Gainesville, Florida
- Adjunct Professor, 2007 – 2016
- J.D. cum laude – 2005
- Center for Governmental Responsibility Fellow
- Center on Children and Families Graduate Fellow
- Student Commencement Speaker
- Order of the Barristers
- University of Florida Presidential Award for Outstanding Student Contributions
- Gerald T. Bennet Award
- University of Florida College of Law Volunteer of the Year
- Trial Team, President
- Association for Public Interest Law, President
- College of William and Mary, Williamsburg, Virginia
- B.A. – 1999
- James Monroe Scholar
- Alpha Lambda Delta Honors Society
- Phi Eta Sigma Honors Society
Bar Admissions & Certifications
- The Florida Bar
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- Admitted to practice before the Executive Office of Immigration Review & Board of Immigration Appeals
Awards & Recognition
- Advocates for Human Rights 2019 Human Rights Volunteer Award
- American Immigration Lawyers Association 2019 Arthur C. Helton Memorial Human Rights Award
- National Law Journal 2018 Pro Bono Hot List
- Florida Trend Legal Elite, Civil Trial 2018-2019
- Florida Trend Legal Elite “Up And Comer” 2017
- Daily Business Review, 2016 Lawyer of the Year
- West Palm Beach Office of the Public Defender, 2016 Equal Justice Honoree
- Daily Business Review, 2015 Most Effective Lawyer Finalist for Pro Bono
- The Florida Bar Leadership Academy, Class I Fellow, 2013-2014
- National Institute for Trial Advocacy, 2010 “Next Generation” Faculty Award
Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association
- Section of State and Local Government Law
Florida Bar associations
- Juvenile Law Board Certification Committee
- Pro Bono Legal Services Standing Committee
- Juvenile Court Rules Committee
- Criminal Law Section, Executive Council
- Public Interest Law Section, Executive Council
- Executive Council of the Trial Lawyers Section of The Florida Bar
- Vice Chair of the Mock Trial Committee
- Membership Committee
- Section Liaison to the Bar’s Diversity & Inclusion Committee
- Dade County Bar Association
- National Institute for Trial Advocacy, Program Director
- Center for Reproductive Rights, Lawyers Network Commission
- National Juvenile Defender Center, Advisory Board Member
- Juvenile Training Immersion Program, Certified Trainer
- Southern Juvenile Defender Center, Advisory Council
- UF Law Alumni Council, Board of Directors
Publications, Lectures & Seminars
- Lighting the Way: The Johnson Amendment Stands Strong against Dark Money in Politics, 6 EMORY CORP. GOVERNANCE & ACCOUNTABILITY REV. 37 (2019).
- The Power of Pro Bono Partnerships, FLORIDA BAR JOURNAL, May 2018.
- Moving Forward from Gault, THE CHAMPION, April 2017.
- High Court’s Montgomery Ruling Fuels Demand for Pro Bono, LAW360, February 25, 2016.
- The Role of the Lawyer, FLORIDA BAR JUVENILE LAW AND PRACTICE MANUAL (2011, 2013, 2015, & 2017 eds).
- Juvenile Justice Handbook: published by UF Law Center for Children & Families, Accredited Contributor.